Thursday, January 6, 2011

My Jewish Journey Part 2

So once our son was home and healthy I decided that I really needed to find a place to call home with G-d.. I really researched Judaism by reading a lot of books and of course the good ole internet.. Then when our second child was 15months old I found out I was pregnant for yet the 3rd time.. By this time I had done all the research I needed as far as knowing that Judaism was the path that I wanted to go in and take my family in. So in the Spring of 2007 my baby girl was born , that same fall I lost my father to kidney failure. That is when I started actively looking for a synagogue so our family could begin our processes. Little did I know that it would take 3 plus years.

Converting to Judaism is nothing like I had ever experanced as a Christian. Even after all the reading about living a Jewish life and what it meant to be Jewish person it never prepared me for the processes I was about to under go. As a Christian if I wanted to join a congregation at a certain church I would just attend a few services profess my love for "Jesus" and BAM I was a member. It is nothing like that when you decide that you want to become Jewish. For one "Jesus" is not a factor in your beliefs any longer. Everything is based on the Torah (Old Testament) and it's writings, but they are not alone. There are other writings as well that you study. The studing part seems to be a never ending part of being Jewish ..

Anyways back from my rant there..lol...So after the birth of our daughter and the death of my father I activly sought out a synagogue .. It just so happens the town I live in does have one ,yes just one Jewish place of worship . If I choose to drive an hour either way from my town I will find others in the bigger cities, but there is not need for that. The one that we have is just right for me it may not be the biggest , but it is the mightiest in my opinion. So my (our) Journey begin then at a Shabbat service where we actually met with a Student Rabbi who in tradition turned us away 3 times to make sure this was the path we wanted .

Once again I shall end my post here and begin again with part 3 of My Jewish Journey..

No comments:

Post a Comment