Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Talking about my Jewish Journey .

I want to talk a little about my religious journey that I am on..The word Journey does fit this best because it has been 3yrs in the making. Let me start at the begining and then move forward. I am sure that I will not get everything in this one post so just bare with me for the continued parts.LOL...

Let me start with my religious background which is interesting to say the least.. We didn't go to church every Sunday or even on Holiday's for that matter. When my siblings were younger I am told that my parents went often to church ,but stop before I can remember it at all. My father was raised Jehovah Witness ,although I can not speak of a personal experance I can speak from a propective of being raised by someone who was ousted by the church. My mom from what I gather was raised Baptist, but she never really spoke of them going to church on a regular basis. Because of my father's bad experance with the Jehovah Witness's like I said before we did not attend church. I did however attend with Aunts when I was younger and friends as well I attended everything from Baptist to Pentecostal when it came to churches.

When I was about 17 I started having a lot of pain in my lower stomach. My mom took me to many female doctors and what they discoverd was that I had something that was called polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) along with anovulatory ovaries..Humm...I know a lot of big words ,but from what I gather the PCOS is not that uncommon. What made me stand up and pay attention was at 17 yrs old being told that "I would never concieve and child naturally".. WOW I know right a lot for a young girl to take in.. So setting in that room that day I made a pact with G-d I told him that if he allowed me to become a mother someday I would raise that child to know and love him as I do..

Fast forward now about 7yrs I have now met the man of my dreams and we want to have a family..Only problem with this is I am no longer attending any type of church. G-d blessed me exactly one month after I wed my husband we found out we had concieved a child. After the baby was born I tried going to many churches ,but none of them felt right . Almost 2yrs to the day of our first child being born G-d blessed us with yet another baby boy.. I knew it was game time at this point G-d had full filled his part , yet I had not. Then our second child was born my husband brought up the idea of converting to Judaism..

Hold on to your Hats I know what you are thinking ..Given my background at being primarily Pentecostal ,how could I even think of doing this.. To be honest I shut him down didn't even give it a second thought until our son was born ...He was taken from my arms and shipped to a nicu unit where he spent the first 8 days of his life..This made me wake up and think of a path that I wanted for my children .. So I decided without letting my husband know of course to look into Judaism..No need to tell him of course because it wasn't an option after all right..*wink *wink...

I think for now I will end here and pick this up on my next post about my Jewish Journey...

No comments:

Post a Comment